Basics and Simple Tricks
- Simon can whip in 8 directions
- Unless it can't be avoided, always try to jump when you want to whip to prevent slowing down
- Holding the whip button allows your whip to go limp. In this state, the whip will do less damage. This can be useful in a few different scenarios.
- There are 5 subweapons: dagger, holy water (aka firebomb), axe, stopwatch, and the cross.
- It is worth noting that the holy water is very effective against many of the bosses. However, the cross is hands down the most useful subweapon for speedrunning.
- The cross acts like a boomerang and upon reaching the end of the screen it will reverse direction. By moving Simon forward, you can extend the cross' range and it also becomes twice as effective because it can hit enemies going forward and backwards.
- Simon can jump over some enemies so long as they are moving forward.
- When you jump down from a ledge that's at least 2 blocks high, you are forced into a crouching state. You can avoid this by just jumping. Every time you jump means one less frame you would have to crouch. Walking off usually avoids this crouching state entirely, but wastes a couple of frames.
- It is possible to jump while using a subweapon. If you land while throwing one, you can jump immediately without losing any time.
- Stairs slow you down, therefore, as little time as possible should be spent on them.
- Simon can only move so fast, but the game will move him a bit faster whenever he takes damage
By grabbing a ring from above, Simon can suspend himself above the ring. Letting go in that position will give him a huge vertical boost. Oddly enough, this boost is higher when his sprite points to the right. This can be used for a couple of shortcuts in various levels. Holding Left or Right will make Simon enter the regular swinging motion.
If you can't jump high enough to grab a ring like that, this is what you can do -
- Jump as high as you can towards the ring.
- Hit it with a limp whip.
- Immediately let go after grabbing the ring.
- If you're close and high enough, Simon will gain a bit of extra height.
- Use that extra height to hit the ring a second time. Every time, Simon should get a bit of extra height, until he eventually is perfectly above the ring.
If Simon hits the ring while really close to it, the game may instantly completely extend him in a certain direction, depending on Simon's exact position. This can be used for a quick boost in any direction. Because he needs to get so close to the ring, this is usually done with a limp whip.
You can cancel out your whip shortly after using it. tasvideos.org
Hanage's video demonstration
Simultaneous Whip and Subweapon
Using a subweapon one frame after using the whip allows you to use both at a time.